Thursday, January 31, 2013

DC to AC PV (pretty sure we could get some more acronyms in here)

This is partially inspired by an idea I had a long ways back, integrating capacitors into the fabrication of PV arrrays, and a product I saw recently that is intended to make PV easier in countries that have robust net metering laws.  The platform shown in the link appears to send power directly into the home's powerlines by immediately rectifying whatever output that comes from the individual solar panels, while it works for a rudimentary net metering platform I would be interested to see what would happen if you slightly changed the approach.
By adding in a series of capacitors, or ideally super capacitors into the body of the solar panel, it could be possible to stockpile up to N minutes of peak panel output. Additionally by having a robust array of the capacitors working in tandem with control chips, it would be possible to allow the solar panel to operate more efficiently (in my theoretical dream world).  My reasoning behind this is that the nature of the power output by traditional solar panels is heavily influenced by the performance of individual cells.  If one cell is producing less current than others, the net power output of that line of cells will be reduced.  With the right mix of control software and low enough energy requirements for the control systems, the net output of a given solar panel will increase.  (this part of the idea comes from a source that I don't remember off hand, lo siento)  The final intent of the capacitor array would be to serve as a means of helping to give the grid that uses this technology a little more flexibility when solar power is used, within a single package.


At the end of the day I can't say if there would be any overall benefit to the grid, but the idea intrigued me on an intellectual level and I thought I would  outline it for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment